As licensed physiotherapists at Calgary Family Clinic, we treat a wide array of conditions and are extensively trained in manual therapy which means we are “hands on” with our patients. This may include massage and joint mobilization and manipulation, as well as muscle stretching which we achieve using a wide variety of techniques.
Many physiotherapists consult in private practice and we treat a wide array of conditions. Orthopaedic cases (this includes sports injuries, fractures, spinal pain and headaches to name a few) are the most common types of patients we treat in a clinical setting. Physiotherapy treatment may involve therapeutic exercise to improve strength, range of motion and endurance and to correct postural and muscle imbalance, joint mobilization, manipulation and soft tissue massage, as well as stretching and trigger point therapy to reduce stiffness and to relieve pain.
Physical therapy helps people of all ages who have medical conditions, illnesses or injuries that limit their regular ability to move and function.
Physiotherapy might just sound like some fancy medical lingo that’s constantly thrown your way just to make medical practitioners feel better, but we at Calgary Family Clinic are here to explain and elucidate on why it’s so beneficial and rewarding to us all;
- Improve mobility. If you’re having trouble standing, walking or moving—no matter your age—physical therapy can help. Stretching and strengthening exercises help restore your ability to move. Physical therapists can properly fit individuals with a cane, crutches or any other assistive device, or assess for orthotic prescription. By customizing an individual care plan, whatever activity that is important to an individual’s life can be practiced and adapted to ensure maximal performance and safety.
- Reduce or eliminate pain. Therapeutic exercises and manual therapy techniques such as joint and soft tissue mobilization or treatments such as ultrasound, taping or electrical stimulation can help relieve pain and restore muscle and joint function to reduce pain. Such therapies can also prevent pain from returning.
- Manage Women’s Health and other conditions. Women have specific health concerns, such as with pregnancy and post-partum care. Physical therapists can offer specialized management of issues related to women’s health. Additionally, PT can provide specialized treatment for: Bowel incontinence, breast cancer, constipation, fibromyalgia, lymphedema, male pelvic health, pelvic pain, and urinary incontinence.
- Avoid Surgery: There are certain conditions where surgery is required instead is treated with physiotherapy. This helps to reduce the post surgery complications and is cost effective.
- Sports Injury: Physiotherapist helps in sports injuries. Every game has trained sports therapist. On field, physiotherapy helps players to give their full on the game and help them recover from injury.
- Manage Diabetes: Physiotherapist helps in controlling diabetes. Physical activity and diet control can control diabetes mellitus type 2. Physiotherapist helps in performing the best exercises, which can help in weight management, which in turn can help in diabetes.
- Better sleep cycle: Dealing with constant pain can be mentally as well as physically exhausting. Often, patients with chronic pain have a difficult time sleeping, but a good night’s sleep is essential to recovery. Physiotherapy integrates light exercises, with their treatments that helps to release endorphins, reducing the pain felt by the patient. This helps you sleep better at night and restore a healthy sleep cycle. Getting adequate sleep also plays a big role in your recovery time, so if you are not well rested, your body will feel more sensitive and irritable to aches and pains. Physiotherapy gives you just the right kind of light exercise that you need to stretch out and loosen your muscles and give you relief from pain.
If you believe you’re in need of physiotherapy after digesting this article, please be careful not to self-diagnose yourself on the internet. Kindly reach out to a medical professional, like your healthy friends here at the Calgary Family Clinic for more help.